USPS finally delivered my Master's robe and hood! Waiting for this package built up anticipation that was quickly relieved as soon as I opened my brown cardboard box. Like a kid at Christmas, I quickly opened all of the plastic wrapping and revealed my beloved graduation garment! I quickly ran to go try it on as Jorge waited to see what it looked like in the living room. The joy in the apartment was quickly met with our perplexed faces staring at one another. I could not recognize the robe or hood. The sleeves to the robe were shaped funny as well as the hood. We were both kind of embarrassed that for the life of us, we could not figure out how to put the hood on the robe. It was this sad sort of reminder that I am the first in our family and friends to graduate with a master's. So technically, we should not have beat ourselves up over not knowing how to put the robe and hood together.
No matter how the faint sadness is rationalized, when you are the first in your family to fully experience the education pipeline, dealing with humbling moments is second nature - this was one of them. Jorge and I were left silent and for a moment looked at each other. I did not know what he was thinking at this moment exactly, but it was most likely similar to what was crossing my mind, "My kids will never have to feel this way." This is exactly what my father talked about when he told me, "I put you through school so you do not have to work like me." I was always angered by his comment because I was and still am proud of the physical labor that he performed to get me through school. Understanding has come with age and now I know exactly what my father was alluding to...simply wanting his children and future grandchildren to be educated, so that they do not have to experience sadness brought about by lack of knowledge. I am blessed by these moments. They keep me grounded and motivated to be a life-long learner. In the end, I did what I do best when I have a problem - research! Luckily, I was quickly able to find a video tutorial and attached the hood to the robe. Uncontrollable elation returned to my face and I quickly called my parents and shared that my graduation outfit had arrived!
Being Latina is complicated.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.