Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Jewish Seder Can Inspire Latinos to Create Change



Oppressed Jews in Egypt
Oppressed Latinos during the Bracero Program
Friday was Passover as well as Shabat. Jorge (my husband) and I have a mutual Jewish friend named Sam. The three of us are so close that we share our cultures with each other. Thus, our plan this year was to attend Sam's Passover/Shabat seder on Friday and celebrate Easter on Sunday. During the seder, there were several passages read that I was left pondering. There is an undeniable connection between the Jewish and Latino - they both understand oppression. I could not help but feel that the oppression the Jewish people experienced during the days of the Egyptians is what Latinas in the United States are enduring currently. This all sounds depressing, but it inspired me. If the Jewish community can become successful, so can Latinos! Oppression can inspire a population to improve their situation. For example, states like Arizona, that pass legislation which directly hurts the Latino community, are poking a sleeping giant. Think about it, Latinos are so numerous, if we became inspired by the oppression we endure, we could become successful and improve our condition. So the next time I read, hear, or experience something that is racist, rather than growing morose, I am going to channel that hurt into inspiration and work even harder.                        

Being Latina is complicated and beautiful.

Current racial prejudice disguised by 9/11 fears.

2 comments:

  1. I love the historical parallels of oppression faced by our respective minority groups you made in this post..There is no reason for Latinos not to realize the same success as the Jewish people have. Racism be damned, you and Jorge exemplify the indomitable force it takes to succeed in this country of ours.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that giant needs to wake up and take action & control of our lives each and every day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.