Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wishful Wednesday: I Wish I Could Celebrate Mother's Day With My Mother

Frances Garcia is a one of a kind mom. After all, look at the name she came up for me; Ces'Ari is no ordinary name! My mother has never tried to be my best friend (this is a good thing), but she has been everything that anybody would want in a mom. She has disciplined, nurtured, spoiled, and supported me my entire life.
My Mom and Dad

I have found throughout growing up that I am quite fortunate. Just because a woman is able to create a child, it does not necessarily mean that they are going to be a loving mom. Some of my friends and students often tell me that I am lucky to have a good mom. Awkwardness fills up inside of me after this type of comment. What do you respond back? "Man, I'm sorry you got stuck with a messed up mom?" I usually just say thanks and move on to the next subject. I don't like to rub salt in anybody's motherly abandonment wound by bragging about the fact that my mom goes above and beyond for me.  

Since it is going to be Mother's Day on saturday, I am going to do what I typically don't, brag a little about her. My mother is the type of mom that leaves notes for you to read. Not just notes in a lunch that she made that often read "I Love You My Little Butterfly," but also on the kitchen table so that I could see them when I woke up.  In high school, I found these particularly annoying because they often had chores attached to them. Now that I am on my own, I miss receiving them on a daily basis.  My mom now makes up for the lack of notes and I look forward to receiving packages that she sends through the mail. 

My mother's take on the holidays is also another treasured memory of mine. Holidays are the best when my mother is in charge of planning; everything is neat, organized and delicious. Traditional family recipes are used and decorations are up the walls. Jello is often at these events and my mom makes a different flavored/colored mix for specific Holidays. Halloween is orange, Christmas is red, Valentine's Day is pink and St. Patrick's Day is green. I cannot believe that I even miss the Jello, but this shows how even the minuscule details that are apart of my mother's celebrations are important. Jorge and I are not having kids any time soon, but I plan on making Holidays just as special for my own children.

My mother has set a high precedent for what a good mother should be and I plan on living up to my own expectation when that day comes. I cannot physically be with my mother this Mother's Day, but my she knows that I love her and I do not solely show my love on Mother's Day. Just taking time out of my day to call her shows her my love on a daily basis. Good news is that this is the last Mother's Day I will have to be away from her since Jorge and I are moving back in July, just in time for her birthday!

Being Latina is full of making sacrifices, but the people that really love you understand. 

1 comment:

  1. I just read this blog..and it left me crying (joyful tears). Thank you for all of your sweet comments. I am looking forward to your return (six years later). I have plenty of "sugar" to give my baby girl! You're never to grown up to be spoiled! My belated Mother's Day with you will consist of a girly day at Home. Which movie do you want to watch first, Gone with the Wind or Phantom of the Opera? Let's pull out our tea set and have a feast! We need to play our song, "Brown eyed girl", and dance around the house like old times! There is so much I want to do with you..because I love you with all of my heart. I give thanks to God for blessing me with a beautiful daughter.<3<3

    ReplyDelete

Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.