Thursday, June 14, 2012

Boredom and Loathing in Phoenix

After the initial shock of being a free bird was over, I began to feel lost. What was I to do for the eight hours that my husband was gone? I found myself watching a lot of Jerry Springer, Steve Wilkos (the poor man's Jerry Springer), and Jeremy Kyle (the Steve Wilkos' Steve Wilkos) - straight up trash television. I knew that I was in a true vegetative state when I realized that I chose to follow the Jerry Springer show on Twitter.

The old Ces'Ari would have been really frustrated that I had wasted so much time watching television rather than being productive, but I needed to be a vegetable. Teaching had become so consuming that I was rarely able to let my brain hibernate.

In the midst of my couch potato haze, I decided to call a personal trainer that I looked up on YELP. Although I did not know this trainer personally, he was not a complete stranger to me. I had often seen this trainer, when I would drive home from work. It was a hilarious sight to see a BUFF Black man training really overweight people in parking lot of the local mortuary. I don't mean to pick on overweight people (I'm thick myself), but watching them flip tires and pull heavy ropes in the heat with determination is an incredible sight.



Well, now the tables had turned as I sat on my couch and called the self-proclaimed Top Sergeant. In my mind, I was ready to be the overweight person in the mortuary parking lot flipping heavy tires. To my surprise, an elderly gentleman answered the phone. I asked, "Is this Top Sergeant, the man that works out in the parking lot?" He replied, "Oh no, that is Mr. Green, he works for me. Do you want him to train you?" I respond,"Oh no, you can train me." He laughs,"You mean to tell me that you don't want Mr. Green taking you outside to the parking lot." "Nope, I'm fine. I will train with you." He says, "Well, I was a marine sergeant for twenty-five years." "Sounds good, when can we start?"

I told Sarge that I had gained weight since high school and have an entire month to dedicate to intense training. I have been training with him 5x's a week ever since. I always thought that personal trainers weren't necessary, but was I wrong. By training with the Sarge, I have realized that I was working out incorrectly all of these years! My workout always consisted of running and running and more running. All of the core exercises that I have learned and weights that I have used this month have given me faster, more noticeable results. This is week 3, and I have two more to go with the Sarge. I'm really excited to be in better shape by my birthday in October!

Okay...This may not happen by October, but this is the goal. I love J. Lo <3


Thinking about California in October is nice, but we are still mid-summer in Phoenix, AZ. Until my husband and I move back to California, boredom will linger and loathing is unavoidable whether or not I choose to workout, read, or watch television. What can you do during the day in 104 degree heat?

Being Latina is complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.