The term "no motivation" would be an understatement for what I have been enduring as of late. I have committed myself to living a much healthier lifestyle for over a year now. However, three weeks ago, I hit a mental wall that has been so debilitating that I cannot not continue. Originally, I was driven to simply live a healthier lifestyle, but eventually became obsessed with my scale. As soon as the scale didn't move or spiked, my mood changed drastically. "Why?", I would yell in my head, "You know that looking at the scale would lead to this." As soon as my mentality moves from healthy lifestyle to scale obsession, I automatically jinx myself.
 |
| Love your iPod, keep it updated! |
One thing that I can be proud of is the fact that I caught myself thinking these negative thoughts - even if it took three weeks! In order to find my motivation again, I thought back to why I started this journey and it was to be
healthy and happy. If a number can change your mood that quickly, you are not healthy or happy anymore. Taking it back to the basics reminded me that I love exercising when I am having fun, communicate with my workout buddy, and listen to music that pumps me up - not when I am focused on a number competition with myself. This past week, I have made the following changes in order to enjoy my healthy lifestyle again:
 |
| I have to read the book before I watch the movie! |
1) Updated the music in my iPod (added some more Billy Joel, Elton John, and Jay-Z to the mix).
2) Took a random 4 1/2 hour hike last Saturday with my husband - spontaneity jazzes life up!
3) Bought Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter to read as a reward when I finish my workout.
4) Purchased new accessories to switch up the look of outfits I already own. Why buy new outfits, if I won't fit in them in 2 weeks?
5) I started scoping out new pink Nikes that Jorge will buy me as long as I am loyal to the gym.
 |
"Can I get this in a size 7 please?"
|
The aforementioned adjustments have already made a significant impact on my mood and thus my motivation. I just have to remind myself that the journey isn't about the numerical symbol on a clothing tag, but the health benefits: a lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, lowered cholesterol, regular blood pressure, and most importantly happiness.
On a side note, yesterday was Twin Day at the school I teach at and my Jewish bestie and I dressed up as Jedis - random, I know. Dressing up as a Jedi may seem kind of corny, but implementing number two on the list, spontaneity, is critical. Variety is the difference between a mundane and vibrant life and I plan on living out the latter of the two.
 |
| Be Your Own Jedi! |
Being Latina is complicated!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.