Wednesday, April 18, 2012

When One Door Closes, A New Career Path Opens!

Yesterday night was the last day of my education master's program at Arizona State University! The past two years could be described in a way that one would describe prune juice - necessary in order to relieve oneself of garbage, but undeniably uncomfortable.
Wendy and I at the beach.

I am a California girl born and raised. Moving to the desert kicked up a dust storm of changes. Yes, residents of California may have to worry about high gas prices and powerful Earthquakes, but there are so many perks: beautiful weather, plenty of outdoor activities, amusement parks, amazing food, and a culture all of it's own. My time in this cacti breeding land made me realize that no place could replace my home state and as much as I would like to say that I didn't need this Arizona, I did. I needed to grow up away from the comforts of home. Actually being able to decorate, cook and clean for myself proved good for me and made me way more domesticated.
A tea party that I threw which required skills I acquired by living independently.
Besides superficial justifications as to why living alone was critical to my development as a young adult, I had the opportunity to develop my character. Over the past two years, I had no choice but to stand on my own two feet, survive, and thus thrive.It was the struggle of my first year of teaching that planted an entrepreneurial seed in me. The seed came into fruition as seen by my decision to blog.

Blogging has proved successful in a short time frame. I was recently asked to contribute to an online magazine and in a couple of weeks I will attend my first blogging conference. I never imagined that I would share my writing with the online world and actually acquire a following of readers. As long I enjoy writing, I will continue. 

Last night was a monumental stepping stone.  Saying goodbye to my two good girl friends was not easy; however, I was able to part with them knowing we were all in a better place compared to when we started our program. We now have clarity on what we want to be in life - anything but a middle school teacher. So let's see what new opportunities open up? I'm mature enough to accept adventure. It is ironic how maturity leads to accepting one's lack of control.

Being Latina is complicated.

1 comment:

  1. "It is ironic how maturity leads to accepting one's lack of control."


    Truer words have never been written- que bendicion that you've realized that at a young age. You will be fine niƱa linda- no- you will be great, fine you've got down pat.


    BB2U

    ReplyDelete

Leave thoughts your thoughts and opinions here! This is how we all grow.